Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Coldest Winter Indeed


Let me start by saying I am a huge Kanye fan. I bought all the records, went to the Glow in the Dark Tour when it hit Chicago, and am anticipating Nike's release of the Air Yeezy (pipe dream, I know) as well as Kanye's new clothing line. But I am far from a "Stan".

In fact, I am very worried. Before I get into that, let me state that I know Kanye is in a very emotional state right now due to the death of his mother, and the end of his relationship with Alexis.

Now that that's out of the way.......What the hell is wrong with this man?! Robocop?! I know the song isn't finished yet, but damn! How much mastering can you do to a song? The Coldest Winter Ever? Why Kanye, why? What did my ears ever do to you? Look, I'm all for artists breaking out of their comfort zone, and expressing new emotions and whatnot, but where's the responsibility? Kanye wants us to spend our money listening to him mourn about his loss while he sounds like a dying giraffe on auto-tune. I do like Love Lockdown and Heartless. Honestly if those were the only songs of their kind on the album, I'd prolly be excited to cop it, but I am not eager to listen to an R&B album from Kanye.

I saw two quotes today that REALLY disturbed me regarding this album. One is about "Tell Everybody You Know" ft Lil Wayne:

"Lil Wayne is singing with a rock edge," Dean said. "He actually sounds a lot like Axl Rose on that track. They bring a lot out of each other. They're each other's favorite MC. Kanye is Wayne's and Wayne is Kanye's."

Sounds like "Number One" ft. Pharrell Part 2.... The second quote is from none other than the King of Auto-Tune, T-Pain:

"I mean, as far as 'Love Lockdown' goes, he did that whole thing himself. He just had me in mind. 808s is really all Kanye. I'm just here to keep it from [sounding] adult contemporary."

Wow. There Are so many things wrong about that quote. For the sake of space I'll just say that if you need T-Pain's guidance, or input on an R&B album, perhaps you should go back to the drawing board.

Look, I respect artists that go out of the box. Andre 3000 is a perfect example of that. He did his singing thing, which was ok, but when he got back to rapping, he was back to killin people again. ("Throw Some D's" remix) My fear is that this album, 808s and Heartbreaks, will do well enough for Kanye to try it over and over again. He does state tho, that he has a hip-hip album slated for release in June. I hope that nothing changes his mind about that one.

It may be the "Coldest Winter" indeed for Mr. West.

P.S. - Lil Wayne is contemplating a similar vocoder driven R&B album entitled. "Luv Sawngz"

"F**k it, I'm not even a rapper. I'm past that....I'm an R&B singer now. Call me T-Wayne....It's me being more creative, more talented, more than hip-hop." SMH........



Do you.

No comments: