Friday, October 24, 2008

Who's gonna be angrier?


I was listening to CPR (Chicago Public Radio) at work today and I heard a few interesting fears being discussed. A white woman feared that with Obama in the White House, chaos would ensue in the form of black people taking revenge on white people. Damn.....who told?! I'm fitna wild OUT when Obama gets elected. I'm finna find every white person I can and...thank them for voting for Obama as well. This lady is basically saying that black people are incapable of any emotions other than the most base. I'd be too happy celebrating to worry about anything else.

A black man said that we should be more worried about what black people will do if Obama loses. He says that the feeling of despair and anger would be so great as to be uncontrollable. There is a lot of truth to that. As a resident of North Lawndale, I still see the scars riots after the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. As my neighborhood burned, Mayor Daley's father watched the flames from city hall, and deemed the devastation a fitting consequence of our impulsiveness. In my opinion, riots would be a horrible response to an Obama loss. But, I really wouldn't mind a new plasma TV from one of the many electronic stores that will be broken in to. Just gotta look for that silver lining.

Lastly, a man posed the question of how white people (rural whites) would react to an Obama win. I really don't see this as a problem in our urban areas, but in the small towns and villages of our suburbs and rural areas, things could flare up. My girl lives in one of these areas, and on election night she will be either with me in the city (so we can go looting together) or I'mma be posted up in her apt. with a shottie.

I want to believe that none of these things will happen, but people are too racist for something not to happen at all. One day our country will be less divided, but it ain't today. In the meantime, I'm browsing the ads for Best Buy and Circuit City.

P.S. - To all the white people new to the more gully areas of Chicago, (Wicker Park residents moving west down Division) minorities shoot in celebration and in defeat. Either way, I'd stay indoors.



Do you.

No comments: