Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Big Chop



So,

After about 3 years of growing, I decided to chop my locs off. I had been considering it for months, so it wasn't an impulsive decision, it was well-calculated. There was no one reason why I did it, rather a bunch of reasons. One, it itched whenever it got hot or damp, and I go the to gym several times per week. I couldn't wear fitted hats, or non-zip hoodies anymore, and my hair got in the way of eating unless I had a headband on. I was also mistaken for a woman on a few occasions. It didn't bother me, but it made me wonder how many women they see with a v-shaped torso and big shoulders. Also, on my last trip to Africa (Uganda), I was repeatedly referred to as, or asked if I was, a Rastafarian. Again, no big deal but it goes into a huge conversation about stereotypes and if we should live or act according to what other people might think, and blah, blah, blah.

Lastly, for people who had only know me with locs, it felt at times as if that was my defining characteristic that people had for me. The guy with the locs. My hair had become a point of fixation for casual acquaintances as well as some people I knew on a slightly more personal level. I just didn't like the kind of attention it brought from some people. I like to think I bring more to the table than just a lot of hair.

Anyway, if you want to see pictures of the de-locing process, visit my girlfriend's blog.
Now that my loc journey has ended, it is time for a new journey to begin - the journey for the perfect fitted.



Do you.



No comments: