Saturday, October 11, 2008

They don't call him "Magic" for nothing


Whether or not he's faking, people all over the world have benefited from his public battle with a deadly virus.

By now, I'm sure you've all heard about the outrageous claim made by a radio station in Minneapolis that Magic Johnson faked having AIDS. Wow! That is a very messed up thing to suggest given the severity of the disease. Magic was diagnosed in 1991, and has since had a brief return to the NBA, and has actually gained weight. You've seen the man, he's chunky! I even heard people say that Magic has the cure for AIDS. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me, that he would have the cure and hoard it would surely guarantee him an autographed ticket to hell. The mere suggestion that would fake that screams desperation. I mean, talk radio in Minneapolis must be mind-numbingly boring. I apologize to anyone from the Twin Cities, but I've been to Minneapolis - it's not poppin AT ALL. I've seen more excitement at retirement homes in Green Bay. Clearly they are trying to boost ratings with sensational claims. From what I hear it worked. Over 7 (yes, 7!) people have called in since it happened 2 days ago. The switchboard was reportedly overwhelmed in a matter of seconds.
But, what if they're right? What if Magic is faking? Why would he do such a thing?

Let's look at what Magic has been up to since '91.

  • MVP of 1992 All-Star Game
  • Member of 1992 Olympic "Dream Team"
  • The Magic Hour TV show
  • Partnership with Starbucks
  • Movie theaters
  • Over a dozen workout facilities
  • Globally recognized advocate for HIV/AIDS awareness & prevention
Coincidence, business acumen, or exploitation of a devastating disease?

Could be any of them, or all. Imagine this, Magic walks into Starbucks' headquarters and demands to be a business partner. Starbucks tells him to go screw himself. Magic then says, "Oh, I see. You said no because I have AIDS. I'm telling Newsweek!" Bam! Now Magic is an official Starbucks partner. Or he could have negotiated. Whatever.

Seriously tho, whether he his faking or not, Magic has been one of the most outspoken HIV/AIDS activists in the world. He has raised awareness and knowledge of a disease that has ravaged the Black community in the US and Africa. I refuse to believe that he would lie about such an insidious and horrible disease (not to mention being accused publicly of being homosexual while playing basketball in a homophobic league)...but if he did, there have been some positive externalities to his personal gain.

Get tested people. HIV/AIDS is nothing to take lightly.


P.S. - I know it's really bogus to have a post about Magic feature a pic of him being dunked on, but I am from Chicago!


Do you.

No comments: