Monday, October 13, 2008

Obligatory hip-hop post

As a young, black, and male blogger, I am compelled to have at least one post on hip-hop.

Perhaps Masta Killa said it best in one of my favorite songs, Triumph, "the dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum." As much of a hip-hop snob I claim to be, I have to keep it real - I am often intrigued by the drum of most of the commercial hop-hop out these days. Clearly Soulja Boy and Shawty Lo couldn't rap their way out of a wet paper bag, but damn if they don't have some dope beats. They aren't lyrical heavyweights like Crooked I or Chino XL, but at least you've heard of them. How many know Chino or Crooked I? My point exactly. As much as I love guys like Talib or Mos or The Roots, if I want something that bangs, I'm prolly not gonna throw on Reflection Eternal.

I think that is the crux if the hip-hop issue facing us. Is it really so bad to have rappers that sound borderline illiterate as long as the beat is tight? Or should all of our hip-hop icons be walking dictionaries or encyclopedias of black history, and social consciousness, preaching on the pulpit of black power over a choir of flaccid beats? Or maybe they should be well versed in consipicuous consumption, walking billboards for ultra-wealthy European design houses, and automobile manufacturers while their average listener is struggling to cop a new white T? Or should they keep it real, rep the hood and profit by glamorizing a life they either never had, or are far removed from?

Yes.

It's all relative. How can you truly appreciate quality when you don't have crap to compare it to? What is heat without cold? What is dark without light? I say that "wack" rappers are necessary to hip-hop. Not everyone listens to hip-hop to become educated or enlightened. Sometimes, you just want something that sounds good comin from the trunk of a box Chevy with 2 15's. Shawty Lo may have the vocab of a 3rd grader, but once the remix of "Dey Kno" is in full force, you'll forget all about that minor detail.

I say listen to what you like.


Do you.

2 comments:

Leila Daily said...

HA HA! "rappers that sound borderline illiterate"

Tay - Tay Willowmane said...

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if these dudes listen to their own music. I'd be embarrassed ...til I went to cash my check! Then I'd be significantly less embarrassed