Monday, October 20, 2008

What's in a name?


Would an A-Life t-shirt by any other name look as dope? Of course not. For the record, I'm not a fan of A-Life, but the question remains. If the same shirt at Leaders (their clothing is very similar and as uninspired as everything else, given their name) was at Target, could you still rock it without being called a lame? Most couldn't.

Would you rock a shirt that had Yosemite Sam or Wile E. Coyote, complete with rhinestones and other foolish baubles? Certainly not! you say....now. But in 2000, you prolly hustled hard to get an Iceberg fit.

What about silly, nonsensical, childish patterns, garishly repeated in retina scalding colors complete with tight jeans and equally garish sneakers? Maybe in the 80's? Nope. Thank Pharrell for convincing "thugs" across our nation's hoods that they could fit skinny jeans, when they themselves are anything but. The same people who were saggin midway down the thigh two years ago, look like overstuffed sausages in $150 dollar Levi's. Levi's haven't been cool since I was about 5.

My favorite "fashion" trend now is glorified in two songs this fall. One is "Swing your Rag" by T.I. and the other is "Gucci Bandana" by Soulja Boy. I would like to take this opportunity to say that Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Prada do not make "rags" or bandanas. The objects in question are acutally $300+ dollar silk scarves made for women. Old, white, rich women. They are also...Republicans! Noooo!!! Ahhhh!!! (Sorry for the brief spaz)

My point is, we are all too often lured into fashion trends by some of the most unfashionable people on Television. There are really only a few trendestters hamely Pharrell, Kanye, and Lupe.
But guess what, they are taking innovations from people like Nigo, Yammamoto, and a handful of other designers. Remember, their own names aren't on the clothes they wear (BBC/Ice Cream is a BAPE clone) so they are followers themselves. I believe Andre 3 Stacks to be the most original out. For all of Kanye's style, price still seems to be the most important thing. He's said so himself.

I know I sound like a hater right now, but I do like hip-hop fashion. To me the spirit of hip-hop is originality, but everyone is wearing the same thing. It may be a different designer, or color, but it's all the same! It's basically a really bright, tight, and expensive uniform. Personally, I like to borrow from all different styles, genres, and price ranges to build a style that fits my personality. As "The Hood Griot" I'm hood and educated at the same time, and my clothes reflect that. M-TH it's bespoke shirts and hand-made Italian loafers. F-Su it's Hosoi Vans (before Kanye, pictured above), Tweed Dunks (blue/gray), whatever jeans fit well, and a T/hoodie from any number of designers. I used to stay with a Cubs fitted, but I got a big head, and a ton of locks now.
I refuse to follow trends and overspend on average, look-alike clothing just because some "rapper" said it was cool. You can't buy swag - if you were lame in a white T you'll be lame in a bright T. same goes for if you were cool in a white T. Clothes can only do so much before you actually have to open your mouth and talk to someone.


In my opinion, confidence is the best thing you can have on.



Do You.

No comments: