Thursday, November 6, 2008

My President is Black!


Wow. So where I begin? how can I even attempt to put into words the thoughts and emotions inside my head and my heart?

As I stood in the largest and most diverse crowd I have ever seen, I was in a state of shock and disbelief as CNN's projection of Barack Obama's victory flashed across the screen. It took a second or two for my brain to process what my eyes were seeing. Even as thousands celebrated around me, I was oddly calm and quiet.
Everywhere I looked, I saw flags, t-shits, banners, and everything else imaginable being waved frantically as Grant Park exploded in celebration. The one thing that caught my eye though, was an older black couple about 5 feet from me. They were dressed very nicely, almost like black aristocrats. They both had tears steaming down their faces, and they held each other very tightly. As he held his wife, the man had the most proudly defiant look on his face I have ever seen.

I think that couple represents the most important group of people affected by Barack Obama's historic win. They were the ones who were beaten, hosed, shot, lynched, oppressed and otherwise mistreated in order to gain the rights that were given to every one else. November 4th, 2008 made it all worth it. I am so happy that my grandparents lived to see this day. As a part the first generation of my family to be born with rights, it is my duty to take advantage os the sacrifices that my parents and grandparents made. That is why I went to college, that is why I voted, and that is why I was at Grant Park on the 4th.

There is so much to be said about the significance of Barack Obama's Presidency. I could wirte for days about what this means to me and to African Americans, but I'll just sum it up:
This is the first time in my life I can say I'm proud to be an American. This has restored my faith in the people around me. I know there is still a long way to go, but this is a huge first step.



Do you.

No comments: