Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Signs of the Times

Man, it's gettin rough out there.

I was at the Walgreen's on Madison and Western today getting some cash out of the machine for a fresh haircut when I witnessed a daring mid-day heist unfold right before my eyes. As I turned to leave the store, a man ran past me, hurriedly stuffing multiple 4-packs of Dove Moisturizing Bath Bars into his coat. The store employees were too stunned/lazy/disinterested to do more than cast a disapproving glance at the exit through with the thief had escaped. Of course the one white guy (manager) that worked there came running out with a concerned look on his face, but stopped short of actually leaving the store. He prolly realized that the beating he'd receive if he caught up to the thief was too high a price to pay to for the employee of the month plaque he'd get for recovering the merchandise.

As I left the store, I could just make out the tail end of the thief's coat flapping in the wind as he bent the corner into the alley. I have to say, he made a wise choice with his soap theft. Chicago winters are notoriously harsh, and Dove's natural ingredients soothe the chapping effect of the City's namesake winds. That one thought in his mind is probably what gave him the clarity to reach out and select Dove amidst the veritable cornucopia of bath products. Well done good sir, well done.

No only does Dove symbolize real beauty, it symbolizes real hood too!


Do you.

1 comment:

Nola.Divine said...

This is ridiculous! I was in the nail salon recently when a guy walks in selling those same Dove 4-packs and Dove body wash. One of the nail techs wanted 2 packs for $5 and the guy cursed her out! He went on a rampage about how expensive the soap was and how she must be crazy to think he would sell two-for-five. And I'm shaking my head thinking....Dude, you totally stole that *ish!