Tuesday, February 10, 2009

CPS Violence

I know ya'll read the title and immediately started thinking about all the shootings CPS had in 2008, but this violence is much different. In this case, the teachers/staff/coaches are beating the students. So far, about 600 incidents have been reported, and only 24 teachers have been punished. I won't write too much because the link is below, but I will pose these questions:
  • Is there an acceptable amount of phyiscal discipline that can be administered at schools?
  • Can these actions ever be justified?
  • Is this an issue of ill-mannered kids stressing out overworked/unerpaid teachers?
  • Does the race of the students or teachers play a role in this?
  • Why are the Chicago Public Schools (CPS) so bogus?
  • Should we be worried about Arne Duncan making policy for the rest of the nations schools?
  • What would you do if this happened to your child?
As a product od the CPS system, I have experienced some abuse at the hads of my wrestling/football coaches. I say abuse, but it really just felt like the kind of discipline that you'd expect from a coach. My teammates and I never had any issues with it. The classroom is a different story though. If my science teacher tried to discipline me the same way my football coach did, then we'd have a serious issue on our hands.

My experiences with physical discipline came at an all black high school in a rough area. The elementary school I attended was very diverse and in an affluent area. That probabaly had a lot to do with it. No matter the setting though, we can't have educators abusing the children. Something needs to be done immediately.


http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh0E9LJ84O1c1EUwe5


Do you.

No comments: