Monday, February 2, 2009

Inaguration


So I know I'm EXTRA late but, I went to D.C. for the Inauguration of President Obama. As much as I want to say it was a transcendent, tear-jerking moment in my life....I can't. Don't get me wrong. There is no where else in the world I would've rather been. It's just that the bone chilling cold, and massive crowd put a damper on things. By the time the inauguration started, my girl and I had been standing outside for over 6 hours. On top of that, since we were standing near the Capitol building and not on the mall, we couldn't see anything. On the plus side though, I was able to get a lot of good shots with my spiffy new Nikon D40.

Let me say that although I seem to be complaining, I know I am very fortunate to have been a part of history. I am fortunate to have been among the diverse throng of people that descended upon D.C. to see the first black President sworn into office. I'm fortunate that I can tell this story to my children and grandchildren. Throughout all the excitement, all I could think is that we don't have time for more celebration and ceremony.

I wondered how many people around me didn't have jobs to go to the next day. I wondered if they would still be so teary-eyed and excited then. I'm sorry that my inauguration tale isn't a cheery one, but man, it's hard to be happy in these tough times.

I will say though, that I have the utmost confidence in Barry, and I feel that he will change things greatly for the better.

Obama '12!!



Do you.

No comments: